Thursday, March 26, 2009

First thoughts on Korea

Ok, a lot has happened in the 12 hours or so since I wrote the blog on the plane.  Let me recap:

1.  Someone died on my flight here.  You read that right: they died on the plane.  I was asleep during the whole ordeal but obviously a pretty intense situation nevertheless.  I was impressed how well the flight crew handled the whole ordeal--I assume that is something you train for but never really plan on having happen, especially during a 14 hour trans-Pacific flight.  I was surprised we didn't make an emergency landing or anything but I guess when you're going over the middle of the ocean that isn't really an option anyway.  I tried to not take it as an omen.

2.  The luggage didn't make it.  Hopefully they'll deliver it today.  Singapore Airlines was super helpful with the whole luggage situation so hopefully that trend continues and they'll get it to us asap.

3.  Korean traffic is unbelievable.  The fact that the cars even have turn signals is laughable because I never saw anyone using them.  Why signal when you can just honk and almost hit other people?  The people on scooters and motorcycles are all suicidal as far as I'm concerned.

4.  My apartment/school is very solid.  I actually live in the same building as my school so that makes it pretty convienent.  I start teaching on Monday but I'm going to do some observing today.  My new boss, Edgar, and his family have been very kind and generous so far.  Edgar and I had a great Korean meal last night and he made it a point to introduce me to local shopkeepers and restaurant owners so I won't feel so incredibly foreign all the time.  The meal is almost worth a blog all on its own so I'll be sure to do a Korean food blog soon.  Preview: It is awesome.

5.  Heated floors are incredible.  I can't believe the rest of the world hasn't figured this one out yet but Koreans just run pipes full of heated water under the floor boards and that is how they heat their homes and businesses.  It makes  jumping out of bed to make a quick bathroom run a much more pleasurable experience.  Koreans don't wear shoes indoors so it makes sense that they would want heat under the bare/socked feet.

6.  The Korean language is really hard.   I was trying to say a simple "Thank you" to the waitress and restaurant owner last night that turned into a giant laughing fit.  Basicallly I couldn't pronounce "Thank you" and they couldn't pronounce "Kevin".  In Korea my name becomes "Kebbin" so we all had a really good mutual laugh together even though don't share a language.  It is pretty amazing how much of communication is acutally non-verbal and transcends language barriers.  I basically just bow respectfully and they seem to really appreciate my efforts to be respectful and my attempts to learn their language.  Hopefully that trend continues.

My camera is charging now and I'm going to do some exploring today before classes this afternoon.  I'll post some pictures of my apartment and Suwon later today.  For now I think I'll head back to bed for an hour or so to kill off this jetlag once and for all.

To my friends and family, I love you all so much and hope you're having wonderful days.  Thanks for reading.

Take it easy, but take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment